Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

During a recent rain storm, the satellite lost the signal.

Customer Question

During a recent rain storm, the satellite lost the signal. No worries, it happens. When the storm passed, all 4 receivers reacquired the signal,can all looked good. But one TV had switched from a m
Positive display to a negative display. Like color film negative.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a Santo, and not sure how old. Probably more than 5
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Sorry... Sanyo. If done a hard reset on the cable box, and unplugged the TV thinking that reset it as well. No success with either. Its very difficult to read the screen in reverse colors, so my next thought was to go BW and see if the color controls will help
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Nothing I can think of
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Does that issue happen on all inputs on the sanyo (dvd, game, apps, etc)
What is the model number of the tv?
Is the sanyo menus screen showing in reverse too?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it does on at least one other, the PC input. Sorry, I'm not at home right now to give you the more detailed info.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ALL screens are in negative
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

That's okay.

Could you get back to me with the model number, when you have a chance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Absolutely.. Give me 45?
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Sure take your time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Talk with you in a bit then.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay.... I have the info. First, I was mistaken about the unit giving me trouble. It is not a Sanyo, but an RCA Model L42FHD37RYX26
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for clarifying.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). This would be consistent with the storm you experienced.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These rca tvs are at the very bottom of the quality spectrum and are really only expected to last a few years at most.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the sub $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No apologizes necessary. It was the answer I expected. I will try the 'last ditch' effort you suggested. If it works, I owe you a beer. If not, then I may take you up on your offer of assistance.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** know how it works out, if you have a moment. I'll be offline for the night shortly, but you will get back to you first thing in the morning.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much Nathan. Rest and relax. I will keep you posted with the progress. Thanks again.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Good morning, just checking in. No rush, I'm here when you are ready.