Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

Our TV will not turn on - it just has a clicking sound but

Customer Question

Our TV will not turn on - it just has a clicking sound but no picture or sound...
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi Mike and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, is the Samsung completely / electrically dead? ...or is there some indication of power? Perhaps even a blinking light?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No sign of power of blinking light. The problem started a few days ago, we would turn the TV on and it would not power up immediately - it would make a clicking sound for a minute or so then turn on. Over the course of 2-3 days the delay got longer and longer. The last time it never turned on - so I unplugged it to avoid any sort of short / fire.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

I understand Mike.

The described symptom and observations almost always point to an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't think I want to go the DIY route... Was just wondering if this was a common issue and worth paying to repair vs. purchasing a new one?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Yes Mike; known failure issue for this model. The power supply usually fails.

The prescribed fix is to replace the whole power supply board and is readily available as refurbished or pull outs from 'donor' TVs hence price is considerably lower as compared to brand new power supply board (if can be sourced).

On the other hand (and since a known issue), there are already/existing repair kits for this particular model/problem. The components that easily fails have been identified and therefore component level repair can be done without whole board replacement.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am a handy guy - so if the repair is easy / simple - I'd be happy to try it.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Great on the DIY!

• basic repair kit, please click HERE;
  • complete repair kit, HERE;
  • used power supply board, HERE;
  • brand new board, HERE.

A word of caution; Samsung has made several revisions to this model including changes to the power supply. Rule of thumb then is to open up the TV and determine the actual Part Number of the existing installed power supply board and used that when ordering parts.