Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

When my husband came home he couldn't turn it on... just

Customer Question

when my husband came home he couldn't turn it on... just flashing green light for power...
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right TV Technician for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Dish is working since the other tv in the bedroom is fine
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Sharp Aquos - it's about 7-8 years old. I can't get to the model # since its wall mounted and the bracket covers the id info
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried unplugging & resetting the Dish & tv, I've tried to change input in case that changed somehow. Going through all 9 inputs does not change anything. When I turn on the power button, the power light will go solid green for a short period & I can almost hear something but then it goes to flashing green.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that's everything
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Sharp perhaps from available paper works or model number of the original remote control.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I cannot find the original paper work. Inside the remote is MX 9 23 2 C 33 1 1
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Can you please post back with clear pictures of the TV and also of the remote. Click/tap HERE.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hope these are clear enough
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Appreciate the images.

And I am running a search now based on the features of the remote (may take a bit of time).

In the meantime, can you please unplug the TV. Unplugging for an extended period of time would simulate a soft RESET.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
unplugged for now
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Appreciate your patience....

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
plugged back in - same thing - solid green indicator, could hear some voices and then back to flashing green
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
will unplug again & unplug from the dish
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Try longer please; "...extended period of time..."

Offhand, I am almost tempted to suspect an internal hardware issue or more particularly on the backlighting system.

After the unplug, consider an experiment (if have not been done). If at all possible, darken the room where the TV is. Power on the TV and very quickly shine a flashlight at an angle (not directly) and nearly but not touching the screen where the volume level / menu display is usually seen.

Press the VOL UP/DOWN or MENU button and note if a dark/ghostly image of the volume level or MENU could be seen.

Postback results.

The above is a test to determine if it is a backlighting issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
left unplugged for about an hour - not sure if that was long enough.... but tried your test. No dark image seen and the green indicator light is back to flashing. I can try to see what happens if I leave unplugged overnight
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

These are the only easy user doable tries as all others would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.