Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech

I have an old HP plasma model PL4260N. When I try and select

Customer Question

I have an old HP plasma model PL4260N. When I try and select a source the options don't lock .so i can't choose a componant.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: started yesterday
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: what do you suggest
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: that's all thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't get to direct tv, roku or anything else.
The select source will not stop at any of the options
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

OK - Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the box that says select source just keeps rotating and scrolling.
When I press the info button on the remote, I get a blue screen with a message 2-0 a no name
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i left the TV un plugged for 6 HOURS and I changed the batteries in the remote
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

OK, please check control buttons located on TV itself as one might get sticky and causing the issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There aren't any control buttons on the TV
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are we done or do you have more advise?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Sorry about delayed reply, I was checking TV manual for troubleshooting purpose, give me 10 minutes please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Yes, control buttons are located on left side panel of TV.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they are...none are stuck
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
nor are they responsive....when I press the menu button nothing happens
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

OK, there are two possible causes, either the control button board or main board of TV is defective.

Any switch or circuit line got joined on control button board and causing continuous input command to main controller chip OR the main control chip mounted on main board of TV has got internal problem and generating continuous input command which is causing the problem.

There is a test to verify which board is bad, remove back cover of TV and disconnect control board connector/ harness, turn On the TV and check. If problem is no more then control button board is bad and if problem persist then main board is defective and should be replaced. If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.