Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Our RCA TV isn't turning back on after a power outage.

Customer Question

our RCA TV isn't turning back on after a power outage.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: happened about 1 hour ago
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: unplugged it, plugged it in again; checked breakers; plugged into another source. Everything else works - satellite, xbox. etc.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) Are you able to get the model number off of the back of the set?

2) Roughly how old is the TV?

3) Are there currently ANY signs of life at all on the TV (power light lit or blinking, click sounds, etc.)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't get the model number it's wall mounted; TV is 2 years old; there are no signs of life
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. No signs of life on the TV at all indicates that the power supply board has failed completely, as otherwise there would be a power/standby light. In most cases the power supply board needs to be replaced (which is something I can help with, but the TV would need to come off of the wall and I would need the model number).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Are you still having the same problem?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

If so then the power supply board in the set has failed. Depending on the model, the board is generally between $50-$120 for the part alone, and is a "plug and play" part (meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it). Alternatively a shop will charge typically between $200-$250 parts and labor (again depends on the model of the set) and one can be located using the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

If you'd like to attempt a DIY repair, then once the set is removed from the wall, please simply postback with the model number located on the sticker on the back of the set and I can then source out the board- and where you can purchase it.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.