Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I have TH50PZ80A and it is not starting. It shows two blinks

Customer Question

I have TH50PZ80A and it is not starting. It shows two blinks and then pause and again two blinks. It has been working good. We have opened the back and cleaned the fans and just simple soft cleaning but it still shows two red blinks at the starting button.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
any answers?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no fans turning
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This issue is not related to the fans.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or sc board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is past its service life at this point, and plasma technology is now obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age/type however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Nathan
I have unplugged the cord for 60 min starting 2.30 PM.
Just for info, this problem started few days back but it was sorted out by keeping it cool by switching off and putting a fan behind. it used to restart and when fail and blink, some times it will start by pressing remote's on and TV's power button together. this failure seems to be long lasting.
I shall try at 3.30 PM after one hour and it may reset...
I have a multimeter and opened the back last week two times to clean the internals, fans etc.
I checked and seems fans are not running
It is Nov 2008 model and we bought in 2009.
I am in Sydney with my son and live in Cootamundra. Shall bring my tools, multimeter to see if this can be repaired. Other wise we shall consider another set.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

It is quite possible this is a thermal issue, meaning that a component is overheating on one of those boards, but that does not mean a bad fan.

The specific blink pattern you got is a diagnostic code which most often indicates a faulty SC board, or power board. Check if you have the +15v present out of the power supply as a starting point.

Keep in mind though that the biggest issue with these tvs is simply access to parts, it is virtually impossible to find a replacement board any longer, even if you can identify which is faulty.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Nathan
It is still same blinking two times and pause and again same
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Good morning, Rakesh (I'm in the US).

Thank you for testing. This is unfortunately as expected, and would confirm a hardware failure, which will require repairs.

Personally, I would move on to a new tv at this point, it will cost about the same amount to replace as it would to repair, and even repairs at this point would be short lived, it may last another year or so, but will not go for another 8 years, so your money is likely better invested toward a new model at this point with a warranty,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?