Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Watched a DVD while playing the weather interrupted the

Customer Question

Watched a DVD while playing the weather interrupted the movie started the movie over now we can't seem to switch it back to tv we have direct tv
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Panasonic 7 years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Unplugged the DVD player and TV and reset the direct tv box
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: How much
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) What is the model number off of the back of the TV?

2) What have you tried so far to try and get back to DirecTv?

3) What do you see on your screen?

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Do you need assistance with this? If so, please reply back.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Panasonic #Tc-p46s1 We unplugged the TV and and restarted the direct tv box all we see whatever hdmi #
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay, if all you see is the HDMI number on the screen- then this indicates one of the following has occurred:

1) The DirecTv box has failed/needs to be rebooted.

2) The HDMI cable has failed, or is pulled loose.

3) The HDMI ports on the TV failed due to the increment weather.

To determine what is causing this, please shut the TV off and then unplug the DirecTv box from power. Remove and then carefully reconnect the HDMI cable making sure it is secure. Plug the DTV box back in and give it a minute to reboot. Then turn the TV on and select the correct HDMI port and let me know what you see n your screen.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Are you still having the same problem? If so, how is the DVD player connected- is that also using HDMI? Let me know please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Unplugged the TV from the wall and yes we do have hdmi yes
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay the TV should not have been unplugged. The DirecTv box is what I stated to unplug. Can you please re-read the instructions above and make sure you followed them correctly?

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

So you unplugged the TV and it returned to first time setup. Try to reboot the DirecTv box as I instructed, and then run through the setup on the TV using the original TV remote.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I turned the tv off and I unplugged the direct tv box went to the setup menu and still nothing
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Switch over to the DVD and see if the DVD works. This will tell us if the issue is with the DirecTv box- or the TV itself. Since if the TV can play a DVD- then we know the TV is working as it should and DirecTv would then need to be contacted to replace/swap out their box as it would appear it was damaged by the increment weather.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Will the DVD player on the set please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the DVD is playing
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Then this directly indicates that the issue is a faulty DirecTv box. You will simply need to call them using the number on your bill and have them swap out the box to fix the issue. This is something we see commonly.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.