Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have several tvs and only one gets a black screen (a CBS

Customer Question

I have several tvs and only one gets a black screen (a CBS network channel), when sporting events come on. It will work fine and then when golf, tennis, football comes on, it goes black. I have tried to have the cable company help me but to not avail. Any suggestions?
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

-Who is your cable company?

-Do you change channels with the original tv remote or with the cable company remote?

___________________________________________________________________

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My cable company is Xfinity/Comcast. I change channels with the cable company remote.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

thanks.

Please clarify the problem you are having. You mentioned 5 Tv's and something about black screen. Please elaborate.

Also, what is the model number of the Tv that is having the issue? What is the age of the tv?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The age of the TV is about 5-7 years. It is a GE (non HD). The only problem I have started about a year ago. Prior to that this tv didn't have this issue.On Channel 4, which is CBS, they "BLACK OUT" all sporting events. I may be watching a program, i.e. Face the Nation, etc. and then a sporting event comes on, such as football, golf,etc. and the screen gets a black box in front of it. I can still hear the sound, and see the event is happening in the background. And if I hit a button on the remote, the picture comes back but only for a few seconds before the "black screen" appears again. it will eventually disappear but it will take more than an hour.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it always happens but only on CBS with sporting events. The events are fine on other tvs.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

The black box on the screen is very likely due to the Tv having (the wrong type of) closed captions accidentally enabled. Use the GE tv remote to disable closed captions and it should be resolved. If you need help with this, then I would need the actual model number of the tv (found on a sticker on the back of the tv).

Keep me informed on how things turn out and before you go please take a moment to submit at least a 3 star rating at the top of this page. Then if you still need help you can reply back and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, Mike. I don't know where the TV remote is, but can I do it from the buttons on the side of the Tv as well? I'll give it a try.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

I guess you can try. I don't know the model of your tv but usually it's quite difficult to impossible navigating using the buttons on the tv. You can likely get a replacement remote on eBay for very cheap.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you still need help, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?