Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Vizio smart tv has been acting very strange. It's been

Customer Question

My Vizio smart tv has been acting very strange. It's been going on for awhile now. I thought I just needed to replace the remote, but now that I have a new one I see that it's more than that.
Okay, so my remote will only work for like the first 30 seconds after tv is turned on. After that the buttons do not work and the on/off button on the actual tv does not work. With the new remote the volume and mute buttons will continuously work, but if you press the app button or the menue button the remote will stop working and the apps will pop up on the tv, but then be froze there. The only way to have the remote work again is to unplug the tv.
Vizio Smart TV
Model # E500i-B1
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1)Roughly how old is the set and when did the issue occur?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Based on the model series, I would say the set is over a year old- correct? Please let me know when you're able to see my reply.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I bought the tv March 2015. The issue occurred about 6 months ago. I honestly just dealt with situation until I finally sat down and bought a new remote
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I have seen this issue many times and it's a fault occurring with the Mainboard of the TV. This board processes all of the remote commands, the apps, and the turn on/off commands in the set. Unfortunately beyond unplugging the set for an hour or more (which resets the processor) there are no quick fixes beyond replacing this board. Now the board is "plug and play"- meaning no soldering is needed, however the rear of the set will need to come off to access it. If you're looking to fix the set yourself this board can be purchased at the link below for $45:

http://ftvparts.com/products/vizio-main-board-756txecb02k019-for-e500i-b1-715g6445-m01-000-004k.html?gclid=CjwKEAjww_a8BRDB-O-OqZb_vRASJAA9yrc58ak-tQHBNUfgxXAztwGAWXamDTouqdPfYT10V3X3aRoC9FXw_wcB

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Alternatively, if this is not something you're comfortable doing, then a shop will charge closer to $250 parts and labor to replace the main and can be located at the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix, but there are no settings/adjustments that will correct the remote not working after a length of time, the app issue and the set needing to be unplugged to shut it off- those all directly indicate the Mainboard in the set is failing and should be replaced.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.