Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Samsung UN55D6900WFXZC version H301 tv. I while ago

Customer Question

I have a Samsung UN55D6900WFXZC version H301 tv.
I while ago the screen was flickering 100% red and no visible picture. Sound still works.
I tried replacing the TCon board and there was no change. I left the TV sitting unplugged for a couple days and plugged it back in. Everything comes on 100% perfect and works for about 2-3 minutes, then the picture slowly fades away white to black, then pure black (no picture) then goes back to flickering red screen.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. Please reply back when you're ready to proceed.
Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Currently I have everything unplugged, just using wifi for YouTube/Netflix. Screen always does the exact same thing with every input, sound always continues to work.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is a current picture, sound is playing on YouTube channel
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

How old is the TV and is it still under warranty?

Thanks for the picture. Do the Samsung menu graphics also appear in red when push menu button on TV remote?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Video was playing perfect hen does this...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No warranty left, 4-5 years old. When the screen goes red it's 100% unusable, can see anything.
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Can you check TV own menu appears normal?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing appears, it is solid red
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Apparently it seems display panel internal issue, however, I would do firmware upgrade as first step to see if it helps, please go to following Samsung link and download upgrade-file (USB type) to proceed firmware update..

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN55D6900WFXZA

If it doesn't fix the issue then I'll swap the main board as last thing which will help to resolve the problem or confirm if display panel is defective.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll have to leave the tv unplugged for a day or 2 so the screen will work long enough to try installing the upgrade. I'm sure I'll be able to start doing it, but screen will go red and unuseable, should I try a main board first?
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Main board would cost you money and firmware upgrade wont so try the easy/ free thing first to see if it helps to fix the issue, its just my approach -:)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I'll try the update tomorrow once it's all cooled down. I had an '09 Samsung that I soldered on new capacitors, is that an issue with these models too?
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

What are the symptoms of 09 model Samsung?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That one just randomly shut off, did some quick research and soldered on new capacitors, been working for 3 years now.
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

OK, UN55D6900WF is newer model and has no issues with capacitors on power supply board, however, complicated circuitry of main board to make it smart TV have issues with main controller chip mounted on main board and it seems that chip gets internal issue when internal temp buildup. is would be good idea to bow the air of a cooling fan over that big chip on main board to see if TV works for longer time.

This test will help to confirm the main board has internal problem or display panel is defective.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I'll try that tomorrow when I do the firmware update. I'll message back with results.
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Sure, take your time.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The TV rested today with the back cover off above an air conditioner vent. Everything was very cold. Turned it on, everything works great for about 2 minutes, the screen slowly starts fading grey/white, then the O/S freezes and screen goes black for 20-30 seconds. Then starts flashing bright red again.No change.
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

It seems main board internal failure, please replace main board in TV that will resolve the problem.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.