Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have to program a new remote and the directions say I must

Customer Question

I have to program a new remote and the directions say I must turn on the box and the ti.v. before I start. how do i do that?
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

This must be a puzzling situation. I am hoping I can provide helpful advice for it.

First, I think the directions say, to turn On the box the TV gets its signals from (i.e. satellite box, or cable box, etc.), and to turn on the TV too.

The TV itself usually has a row of buttons on it. They may be under a hatch, which slides aside or flips up to reveal them. Or they may be on the back of the TV in some models. One of the buttons, at one end, will be the Power button.

What is your TV's maker and model #? Samsung it seems, but what model? with that information I can give you a sure guide to where the Power button is. Let me know, in Reply To Expert, and I will instruct you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the model number appears to be UN40H4005
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is that the information that you need?

Yes... just a moment, I am researching my answer... expect a post to this case again, within 5 minutes or less.

I am really regretful, I have no news to produce: this TV, all sources I can find agree, has no power button, or any buttons. What you will need, obviously, is an original remote for this model, to use this TV at all.

I can cite a source for such a remote:

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Samsung-UN40H4005-Remote-Control/dp/B01ESGUDQ2

Is this an answer worth rating? I wonder. It must be a disappointment, I realize.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks so much My dog ate my remote control and so I've been without T.V.
Are you still trying or did you give up?

I did, I admit, give up. It's past 11 p.m. in my time zone, in the East.

I think replacing the remote is the right thing to do. Unless your TV's 'box' attached to it, can turn it On... which is doubtful.

I'm sorry the news wasn't better.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for trying. I thought I was losing my mind.Every kind of remote requires the same thing so I'll have to keep searching. Thank-you again for your efforts and I'm sorry it's so late.Kerry =)

It's OK about the hour, I took on the case voluntarily.

Do you mean that you think that even the TV's own remote needs to be paired to the TV first?