Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Why did my tachi 1080 go completely dark and no sound after

Customer Question

Why did my Hitachi 1080 go completely dark and no sound after watching it for half an hour. Now all I get is a blinking blue light. It is not the cable as I check with Time Warner and a smaller TV is working on the same station.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'mvsorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info:

1) Is there any chance you can get the full model number off of the back of the set?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

2) Roughly how old if the set?

3) That blinking light- is it a continuous blink, or is there a pattern (for example: 3 blinks, pause, 3 blinks, etc.)?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

It seems you may not have the info requested above, so I can give you a general answer as to what is causing the issue. The screen fading to black and the power light blinking is caused by a hardware failure in the TV- generally with the Power Boar,d or the Sustain boards (which process the plasma display circuitry).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, to see if the set reboots.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

This problem can happen due to several things. The power supply is a common cause of this problem. This typically will cost you $250-$300 to have repaired.

The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible processing the Plasma display and are common failures for this type of TV. The average cost for this type of repair is around $350 parts and labor.

I wish I had better news, but the set will require component level testing and replacement in order to function properly again.

Given the age of the set it may or may not be more cost effective to put that same money towards a new LED TV, in lieu of repairing this one.

However if you'd like to inquire about repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?