Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS

Over the last couple of days, after watching TV little

Customer Question

Over the last couple of days, after watching TV for a little while, the screen would go black, but we still had sound. If I turned the TV off and back on again it would be OK. The same thing would happen again and the time would get shorter. I though it might be overheating because it has been very hot and humid and we have no AC. Yesterday I turned it on and got no picture but still had sound. Turning on and off did nothing. Series 5 530 TV. Any thoughts?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is about 8 years old model # *****
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing yet didn't no where to begin. TV is unplugged at the moment.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, that should do it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 3 months ago.

An important check you should make is this>> 1 when it goes black press the menu button does the menu come up please?

2 If it stays black can you see any visible light at all on the display even feint light?

Let me know please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The screen is all black

So no menu with the check

OK in that case the backlights are outor intermittent on these sets they are controlled by a couple of inverters and its these that are most suspect here, however I am not sure if investing money on boards for this set is a good idea cost of the boards will be around $150_$200

Let me know your thoughts and if you want to push on with repairs

Please consider rating the answer positively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site (I am a user of the site like you are a verified technician) if you need more help let me know , note the question is open for 30 days should you need more help now or later thank you.

Many Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your help.

Your Welcome

Let me know if I can do anything else

PS please before you go remember to rate thanks again

Do you need more help please?