Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

Sony KDL46Z4100 - 8 years old - color is deep. Mostly red

Customer Question

Sony KDL46Z4100 - 8 years old - color is deep. Mostly red and blues Greens almost gone. Can this be fixed?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Started about a month ago. I could turn off the TV and then back on, and the color was correct. But for the last week, it is just over the top rich reds and blues.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: See my first post above.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Went to settings. Tried all new settings including reset color. I downloaded a software update, but it was probably 5 years old (the update) so not helpful.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I also tried a Blue Ray to be sure the color was bad on different sources.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, is the described symptom consistently exhibited by all/any inputs; composite video, component video, HDMI?

Still, have you considered / tried a full RESET back to factory defaults?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've tried all inputs and reset back to the setup.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, is there anybody there to answer??
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me time to compose my reply and reference the repair/Service Manual.

Then a non-corrective RESET would be indicative of an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can do repairs myself. But my experience tells me that replacement of a faulty part is more likely.
Do you know what causes this type of problem? I do not want to get a new TV if I can replace a relatively inexpensive part. But I also do not wish to have a large TV laid out on my floor with all parts opened and exposed while I go over each component.
If you have a solution now, great. If not, then I will move on.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

I understand and agree.

Can you please click HERE and confirm that this is how the RESET was done please? This is as prescribed by the Service Manual. Failure would confirm the hardware suspect.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I did not use the procedure you have provided. The reset was done on-screen with a Question: Do you want to reset to the default settings? I clicked YES.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Could you please consider giving it a try?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
of course. I will try now.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Yes please and appreciate your patience.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I reset the TV according to the instructions you provided. When the TV came back on, it was the same setup as when I did it before this Chat. And the picture is the same - still over saturated. Faces are very red. Same problem.
Do you have another solution?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

If all external factors have been exhausted, checked and ruled out, then the described symptom would confirm the internal hardware issue. More particularly, potential suspects after a review of the Service Manual are:

• • failing panel/screen (least likely);
  • • about to fail main/BU board (likely);
  • • faulty T-CON board (most likely).

The T-CON board P/Ns 55.46T02.C02, T400HW01 V3, 40T02-C04 of this particular model has a known high failure rate. This board is not that readily available. However, there are offers for the repair/refurbishing of this board. Please click HERE.

Not that often a cause of failure but still possible would be the main board. Subject to confirmation from the current/existing BU board, it would have a printed number of something like A-1643-239-A (1-876-561-13) similar to the part offered HERE.

It has to be posted that the board numbers may be different subject to manufacturing revision and updates hence the need to order a replacement board with completely identical numbers.

Component level repair or replacing the board would serve as an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.

If not corrective, then the panel P/N 1-802-639-13 would be highly suspect. If so, repairs may no longer be economically reasonable.