Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have Bose 321 with no hdmi. I have new Samsung 6500 series

Customer Question

Hi.. I have Bose 321 with no hdmi. I have new Samsung 6500 series that has the smart link box and my cable box. I can't seem to hook up the Bose to get sound or picture. I've tried the outputs on tv settings and even have optical
JA: What is the exact make and model of your tv? And how long has this been an issue?
Customer: Cable that I've tried going from Bose to tv smart box and the cable box
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Tried various settings for sound output on tv and switching plugs
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Can you please postback with the full model number off of the back of the Samsung TV?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. Is it the Smart TV apps you're looking to get to playback on the Bose? Or the cable box? The reason I ask is that the HDMI ARC port is the only port on the TV that allows the Smart TV apps to playback through an external sound system.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Both would be nice but I can't get sound from cable box shows to come through Bose or get video to show when playing did from Bose. I have the Bose set up cd but can't see image.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My older Samsung I used the old school yellow white red plugs and had Sound through Bose from cable shows but not smart tv apps.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. There are several versions of the 321, which connections on the back of the 321 are you trying to use for video- is it the yellow video connection on the Bose?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried that before. Yellow from Bose to cable box
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Okay, the Bose cannot be connected to the cable box for video. You need to connect the yellow directly to the Yellow port on the TV, which may be labeled Y/Video and then set the Samsung to the AV mode for picture. Try that first please and let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no yellow port on tv. :( only hdmi outlets
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have an optical cable but I thought that is only for sound
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately you will not be able to connect the Bose to the TV to have it display video then. For sound, the optical will work to the Bose, the TV's speakers must be shut off in the MENU and the Bose must be set to the TV source setting.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is an arc out from tv (it has a smart box connected to tv to simplify hooking everythung up)
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out of the question. It is now open for other experts to view and assist.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok.. Thanks for trying. Might go buy a new Bose ��