Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a 50" Smart TV purchased either 10 or 11 months

Customer Question

I have a 50" Smart TV purchased either 10 or 11 months ago...two days ago a wide white line in the center of the screen from top to bottom appeared...the right side of the screen had a very light picture coming through but the left side was completely, the white line is still there but a very light resolution is coming through on both sides of the screen...I sent Best Buy an email earlier to find out if my TV is covered by the warranty but haven't heard back from them yet...I'm not sure what I should do next...what is your suggestion?
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is your Samsung TV, please, that you are asking about?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my son bought it for me last fall, so I think around 10 months old...

If the Samsung TV is 10 months old, it is within the warranty period that Samsung themselves - not the store you bought it at - does offer for its products.

The next difficulty might be, proving the purchase date to Samsung. Have you registered it for warranty coverage, or registered it online with Samsung before this? If not, you will need to get the receipt for the purchase of the TV from your son, or a warranty-service claim might not be honored without such proof of purchase date in hand to present or cite when calling Samsung.

In the US, you would call - once you have that in hand - this number:

Citing it as a gift strictly speaking may make Samsung reluctant to service it under warranty, since gifting means transfer of ownership, and transfer of ownership strictly interpreted always voids warranty coverage (which is for the original buyer.) I don't know how you would prefer to proceed, but the 'strict owner' being your son, might allow this to be gotten done.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Putting the warranty off to the side, I just need my TV you have any idea what's wrong with it or how much money I'm looking at? How soon could a Geek Squad member be here?

If it is covered by warranty, the cost of warranty repair will be $ 0.00.

If the warranty is voided by opening the case, or invalid otherwise, it will cost something considerable. Several hundred dollars perhaps, especially if...

A Geek Squad member could be there in a fairly short time, but most likely would not find it immediately repairable... and please be cautioned, they charge a large fee for the convenience of attendance in person within a short time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was a gift, yes, but my son lives with me...he hasn't been able to find the receipt...I have no idea if he registered it, I assume he figured if anything was to go wrong it would happen within a year, which it did...several hundred dollars and a substantial fee are very polite words for expensive...I'm going to need to think about this for a bit...may I get back with you later on my decision?

Yes, you may get back to me any time that is convenient for you. I understand that the news is not exactly good.

(If it is doubtful whether the TV has been registered with Samsung, then just assume that it has, and call Samsung to put in a failed-within-warranty claim on it, citing its

1: model number

2: month of purchase

3: serial number, off the TV, which will identify it. )

(Also, if the receipt cannot be found, then if it was bought with a credit card, then you can cite the credit card record of the purchase as proof-of-purchase-date, which is all that a warranty claim really needs, to be phoned in effectively.)

As I said, getting back to me at your convenience is fine. Thanks.