Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

How do I attach headphones to my Samsung BN65-02690K-00 tv?

Customer Question

How do I attach headphones to my Samsung BN65-02690K-00 tv? My husband has a hearing problem. I do not.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

The short answer is that you can't use headphones with the tv directly. This is actually the case for all modern tvs. It can be done, but some additional equipment is required.

The reason for this is that all modern tv's are digital, and because of copyrights and digital rights management/copy protection, so tv's cannot have any analog outputs, which is what a headphone jack would be.

The way around this is to use the Digital Audio Out port on the back of the tv. This is a square type port with a little flap/door over it and a red light inside. You connect a fiber optical cable to it. You'll need to purchase a digital to analog converter: http://amzn.to/1VhPiQx . This will convert the optical connection to an analog stereo connection (red/white rca ports). To that, you can then connect rca cables to the base unit for a wireless headphone transmitter, or if needed use a stereo to minijack adapter to plug in a standard headphone jack, but you would most likely need to add a separate amplifier to drive wired headphones.

Best regards,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?