Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

Our panasonic big screen tv won't turn on. There was a power

Customer Question

Our panasonic big screen tv won't turn on.
There was a power surge that happened about the time we had issues with the tv
not turning on
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Is the power light blinking at the front ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

What is the tv doing now if anything ?
Is there a light or clicking sound from inside when you plug in the power cord or try to turn it on ?

Or is it totally dead ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Totally dead.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

O.k and you said this happened at the same time as a power surge ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It wasn't on at the time of the power surge. But it didn't come on later that day after the surge.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

O.k then you have a defective power board now , this is usually what will fail if anything does during a power surge , the tv doesn`t have to be on , the power supply is always online .

If you are into repairing this yourself i will find it for you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My husband and I are very challenged at the DIY stuff, so we'll have to get someone in to look at it, I guess.
We were hoping there was a reset button or something simple like that.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

No problem , if that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 to $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

By the way so you don't get overcharged on parts here is a link where you can see a complete repair kit for this tv ;

Please do not forget to rate so I get paid for my work here