Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have an Insignia Model NS-LTVDV29-09. My unit has startd

Customer Question

I have an Insignia Model NS-LTVDV29-09. My unit has startd switching off after only a minute or so. In the beginning it would come back on if I turned the power back on. This might last a couple hours. Now it won't stay on longer than a few seconds. I can't keep it on long enough to search anything on my unit. What do you think the problem might be? My husband says it acts like a relay over heating. What should I do?
Anne Forst I purchased my TV at Best Buy in Tyler, TX, bbut I can't find my paperwork and am not sure when I bought it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, especially for this brand. These inisignia sets are some of the lowest quality tvs made, and are normally expected to last only a few years at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $150-200 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?