Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

Our Samsung tv suddenly developed vertical streaks that

Customer Question

Our Samsung tv suddenly developed vertical streaks that severely blocks the picture plus the colors are much lighter (sort or pastel).
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Yesterday
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: not much
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the model number of the tv?
Are the lines on all sources/inputs?
Do they also affect/obscure the samsung menu screens?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Model LN46A630, lines on all inputs, menu screens obscured
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the info,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty tcon or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this tv is significantly past its service life at this.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?