Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a LG smart television that when you turn it on the LG

Customer Question

I have a LG smart television that when you turn it on the LG screen briefly flashes and then goes dark. I have changed the hdmi cable and changed the outlet it plugs into without success
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

While the screen is dark , do you still get sound ?

Is the screen just blank with some background light or completely dark like when the tv is off ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I still get sound
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the screen is completely dark
Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

And the screen completely dark like when the tv is off ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
After the initial screen tries to start, it flashes and the screen is completely dark
Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

O.k then , i know what this , please give me a few minutes to compose my answer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

By the look of it I`m afraid that what your tv has is another case of defective LED strips and this is very common with the LN serie of LG tv`s .
Those LED`s are supposed to last a zillion hours but they do not , they are failing all over the place and not only in LG

Here is a link to give you an idea what is needed ;

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-lc470due-sfu1-led-strips-12-strips-1-board.htm

Mind you they don`t have it in stock at this time , these guys can`t keep up with the demand but if you were to look into this yourself then you could sign up there to be notified when back in stock .

It usually takes less than a week but before you order I must say that this is quite tricky to perform , the lcd panel has to come apart to reach those led`s and unless you are very handy working with electronics , I would not recommend it.

To have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

Any questions on this ?

Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thanks for understanding .