Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

My Vizio screen just went, It's about 7 years old, Just

Customer Question

My Vizio screen just went white
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's about 7 years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just going into the menu but it's hard to read it
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the TV.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where do I find that number
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

There would normally be a name plate / sticker at the back. Carefully check for the model number. It would be something like E470VLE.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

Was the TV moved, lifted or cleaned prior to this symptom of "...screen just went white..." ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

I understand.

Have you tried unplugging for an extended period of time? ...and then plugging back in using a different power source / outlet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that didn't work I thought it was the contrast but it wasn't the screen is bright and white and you can barely make out the image
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Again I understand.

The described symptom then would be indicative of an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and would you be comfortable working on the inside circuitry? ...LIVE!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No do you think I should repair it taken it in to a shop or should I just buy a new one
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

The suspected failed part/board is the T-CON (timing control) board which as its name implies control the panel. This board is available as refurbished or pull out items from 'donor' TVs. Please click HERE.

While the price of the replacement board is reasonable, it is the Service Fee that may be of a concern depending on the going rate in your location; say equivalent of 100 ~ 150 USD for in shop repair and more if home serviced.

On the other hand, newer versions / LED TVs starts from about $300. Click HERE.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Glad that the above information may serve your purpose and would appreciate a Positive Rating and/or an Accept (if haven't done so).

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.