Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

After I turn it on it shows the chanel pop up then goes

Customer Question

After I turn it on it shows the chanel pop up then goes blank. afer turning it on and either pushing menu or input the pop up for thoose shows also for afew seconds then tv goes blank but power is still on (blue led)
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: RCA LCD Model 26la30rqd
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I checked cables on back of inside of tv and the previous stated stuff
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, with the description of "... tv goes blank...", is there still sound?

Would the blank screen be all blue, black or white?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Speaker is broke, screen is black
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i will put head set on
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Yes please; test the sound if still present even with a black screen.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no sound
are we s
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Consider an experiment (if have not been done).

Power on the TV and set to a program/channel. If at all possible, darken the room where the TV is. Wait for about 5 minutes or more. Shine a flashlight at an angle (not directly) and nearly but not touching the screen where the volume level / menu display is usually seen.

Press the VOL UP/DOWN or MENU button and note if a dark/ghostly image of the volume level or MENU could be seen.

Post back results. The above is a test to determine if it is a backlighting issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
k.. tested it no ghost image
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Further checks then would be on the inside circuitry if comfortably able.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
same as before ..with in a few seconds the menu or chanel pop up will show (if push the button for menu menu shows) right after powering up
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

...sorry but DIY?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have replaced capitors on power board on sisters tv big screen by looking it up and going to a store that sold electronic components
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do have digital mter
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
soldering iron
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Great on the DIY.

Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check for the presence and consistency of the output voltages of the power supply board;
  • • check if the EEPROM of the main board is overly heating up.

Please post back results / observations of the above once done.

Additionally, post back too with clear pictures. Click HERE. This would enable common reference for further diagnosis.

A friendly reminder: voltage measurements and working on the inside circuitry would require that the TV be plugged in and turned on; it is therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry about the one liners but also was successful with repair on sisters tv
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the tv times out or turns off after about 10 minutes. i have to go but will try suggested items mentioned. thanks.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Please post back how things turned up and/or should additional information be needed.