Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have to tilt the screen up to 50-45 degrees regarding the

Customer Question

I have to tilt the screen up to 50-45 degrees regarding the keyboard to get the built in camera and Wi Fi adapter working. I guess it is because of a bad contacts. How to solve this problem?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 4 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today. May I take a look at the document?

Please, be forewarned that the site is not secure:
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Please, send your reply below in the box. After you type your message, click the Send button.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What file you want me to upload? Take into account that I communicate with you using one of my Sony's computer.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Jason, are you still here?

I am very sorry. It appears that the website is faulting. That message was meant for another page. Please, ignore my post.

I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I understand that you have a Toshiba laptop of the Satellite series, which has a problem that only occurs when the screen is completely opened.

If the camera at the top of the screen part of the laptop, and the wi-fi also (rather a surprise, that) only work at certain angles of the screen being open, then in a way that's good news. If they didn't work at all, it would be much harder to solve.

As it is, what is indicated is, that the contacts have come loose, owing to the cables that go through the laptop hinges having been pulled a little loose. Those cables, probably where they are seated in the base/keyboard part of the laptop, will have to be re-seated. That will require that the laptop be disassembled by a skilled professional and that done, then the laptop put back together again properly also. (And that last is the part that has to be done by a skilled pro... it's the really hard part. Aside from not damaging the delicate inner parts of the laptop while re-seating those cables.

One question remains: is your laptop still within its warranty's period of coverage? if it is less than a year from original purchase date, it most likely is. If it is still covered by warranty, then do not attempt to open the laptop yourself - that would void the warranty. Instead, you should have Toshiba do warranty-covered service on it free-of-charge.

If this completely answers your question, please rate my answer. (If you need to know more, just Reply To Expert and let me know, and I will advise you further.) Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I see that Jason already charged me in full. Is this just a cheating? Your advice is to go to a professional. I am sorry to say that it is to cheap to be charged.

I see no indication that Jason had any power to charge you anything: no phone call offer appears to have been made and accepted, nor have you accepted any Answer offered so far.

JustAnswer.com Experts do not have any power to charge you - charges, billing, payments, etc. are completely out of their hands.

For any concerns about charges, billing, etc., please contact Customer Support at JustAnswer.com, through

*****@******.***

They will address your concerns with reasonable promptness.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I diagnosed the trouble myself. Please see what I have wrote to Jason about bad contacts. So, it would be unfair to charge me for the advice to go to a professional. What should I do to decline the charge?

I think I gave you good advice, based on my own experience. I once fixed a laptop with a vaguely similar problem, though not by adjusting or re-seating cables.

I advise you to go to a professional, because that is what is necessary for such a problem, even if it turns out, upon being opened, to have a different sort of solution for the problem. But a problem involving screen needing to be tilted on a laptop is not to be solved without opening up the laptop - and closing it up again, of course, which I know from experience to be the part that really requires practice as well as fine tools. A professional is definitely needed for the case, in short.

As for declining charges... not rating my answer will do that, by and large. And if you wish to request a refund, please contact Customer Support at JustAnswer.com:

*****@******.***

and they will address your concern with reasonable promptness.

Thank you for asking your question, and feel welcome to return at any time to ask another question here at JustAnswer.com.