Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

I purchased a 65" 3D DLP TV through HSN 5 years ago. It is

Customer Question

I purchased a 65" 3D DLP TV through HSN 5 years ago. It is currently developing white dots on it every day. It started about a week ago and is now up to 17 of them in the upper left side of the screen. What can be done about this??????
Category: TV
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How easy is the replacement chip to install? i have severe arthritis in my hands
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
model# ***** serial - 118264
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

As you are aware, your chip has stuck micro-mirrors that are causing the white dots. Mitsubishi discourages replacement of just the chip but they are available for about $180. HERE is one for sale.

Replacement is reasonable involved and requires removal of the light engine from the TV, removal of the board from the engine and replacement of the actual chip which resides in a socket. On the page I just linked to are 4 videos. View them all so that you can get an idea of what is involved.

Now, be aware that after replacement, you MAY have to also replace the formatter board.

Please let me know if you have any further comments or questions. I'll be here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am very upset that I was billed 38$ when i thought the week trial was like 5 or something! My 1st contact was only this past Monday.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 months ago.

I am not privy to billing issues. I am a user of the site like yourself except on the "other side" as it were.

I suggest you contact the admin of the site. They should be able to help you out.