Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS

I have a 2008 Toshiba Model 37AV52U TV -- I can't change

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Toshiba Model 37AV52U TV -- I can't change output -- the option screen pops up momentarily and then disappears. I then get a series of options that scroll along the bottom of the screen but can't move fast enough to access those options. Furthermore, the volume will adjust down with any of the following: cable remote, TV remote and on the TV itself but the minute you let go of the button, it adjusts back to maximum volume.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Unfortunately, both of those issues (options scrolling, not able to adjust and volume not lowering) are all indicative of a failed "Mainboard" in the TV. This is a plug and play board in the TV that processes all of these functions, and contains the "brains" of the set. That part is available for purchase at the link below for $70 for your set:

However FIRST it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up and operates Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

If you're still having the same issue, then the part linked to above is needed to repair the set. If you're a DIY type then you can replace that board yourself as it's a "plug and play" part (meaning no soldering or special tools are needed). However the rear of the TV needs to be removed to access it.

Alternatively if this is not something you're comfortable with, a shop will generally charge $250 parts and labor to swap the mainboard, which is not a cost effective option for this TV- as a brand new 37" set can be purchased for the same amount.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I replaced the mother board but the problem remains. The input menu flashes and if I push enough buttons will scroll across bottom of the screen too fast to effectively change input. Can't adjust volume - it stays on maximum. It will lower with both remotes and tv panel but once you take your hand off the button it returns to maximum.
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 2 months ago.

Let me know when you see this message please