Jason Jones, Customer Service
Experience:  Several years of troubleshooting.
30759776

My tv shuts off every 10 min no matter what channel we are

Customer Question

my tv shuts off every 10 min no matter what channel we are watching
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Philips 37pfl5322d/37 about 3 years old I think
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I shut if off I unplugged it and let it sit
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: TV
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 4 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

I understand that it shuts off while you are watching channels. If you watch a DVD or something to that effect, does it also fail?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know we haven't watched any should I try checking that out

Yes, please, test that out for me. That will give me the information that I require. I look forward to your update.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have the dvd playing now to see if it shuts off

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it shut off on the dvd player also

When it shuts off, does the whole system turn off or does only the screen shut off, but the sound works?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
everything shuts off

I am sorry to hear that. It sounds as though their are some blown capacitors either on the mainboard or the power board. More likely, it is with the power board. Do you have any type of warranty with this device?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no we don't

The problem is either with a couple capacitors on the mainboard or the power board. If the tv didn't turn on at all and gave error blinks, I could tell you for sure if it was either the mainboard or power board. Being that it is not doing that, it means that the board has not failed fully. For this reason, I cannot be sure whether or not the the problem is with the main board or the power board. I would be sad if I told you it was the power board, but it turned out to be the main board. As it stands, it sounds like it is a problem with the power board.

If you feel comfortable doing so, I would ask for you to remove the back side of the TV and look at the boards. On the boards, do you see any capacitors that are obviously burned out or are bubbled out?

If the problem is with the power board, you can purchase a replacement board, rather cheaply, at the following page: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/232009681831?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

If the problem is with the main board, you can purchase a replacement at the following page: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162115896673?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

The replacement instructions are quite straight forward. You will remove the back side of the tv, remove the power supply and install the new one.