Master Fix It
Master Fix It, Technician
Experience:  25 + Years experience repairing TVs, VCRs Computer etc.

I have a Samsung PN51F8500AFXZA. I have a couple of vertical

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: I have a Samsung PN51F8500AFXZA. I have a couple of vertical lines about 5" from left side.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just diagnosis and definition
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. I need to ask for some more info to help here:

1) Roughly how old is the set?

2) What is connected (cable/SAT box, DVD, home theater, etc.)?

3) Are the lines there with all sources?

4) How thick are these lines?

5) If you pull up the TV's native MENU (MENU button on the original Samsung remote) do the lines cover OVER the menu image?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1. 2-3 years
2. Cable, xBoxOne, DVD, hometheater and PC
3. Lines with all sources.
4. They appear to be one pixel wide.
5. The Samsung menu only occupies a rectangle in the middle 60%(just guessing there). The lines fall outside of the menu box.
Lines appear in all HDMI modes.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am an experienced computer electronics systems tech. I am just trying to figure out whether I can fix this by reseating cables or if I need to replace a board.
And, if it's a board, which one.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Thanks. Generally when using a home theater receiver, all video sources run through the receiver and then out to the TV. So the home theater itself or connecting cable to the TV could be a cause of the issue.

Have you tried bypassing the home theater and plugging a video source DIRECTLY into the set using a different HDMI cable? If not that would be the first step.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, some of the HDMI sources are plugged in directly to the TV and some are via the home theater. But, the problem is the same with any of the HDMI inputs, so I'm pretty sure the problem is in the TV itself.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess the short answer to your question is that I have already tried a minimal configuration (bluRay >> TV).
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am off to lunch. Back at 1pm EST. Catch up with you then.
Expert:  Master Fix It replied 3 months ago.

Hi I am Tech Mike, I agree with you. This is likely the display driver board to blame for the problem you are having.

You just need to replace that one ;-)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Mike,Any chance you can be more specific as to which board. A p/n would be perfect. I know electronic systems, but am not a TV specialist ;-(
I am guessing this would be an E-buffer, F-buffer, x-buffer, or y-buffer (????). Please advise.Thanks,
-- Bill

Hi bill if you will rate kindly I will go as far as you would like on this repair, also you will have access to me for 30 days once you rate kindly .

I am not sure of the part# ***** supplier can give that to you when you call. Tell them you need a the video driver board.

They should know what you want;-)

Please contact :

(###) ###-####/p>

I will be away from my computer for a few hours but I will see anything you have to say when I return.

Please also remember to rate my service to you in a kind fashion.

Thank you

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no "video driver board" listed for a Samsung PN51F8500AFXZA.

Hi the sustain boards in this case ;-)

There are two of the x, y.

If you replace these it should clear up the issue. Also I would unplug every connector one at a time and re connect it as if there is dust or a poor connection you will have this issue.

If that doesn't solve the issue, then the pane itself is bad.

But usually this will solve your problem;-)

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you

Tech Michael