Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV (TC-P50G10) that has a 5

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Panasonic Plasma TV (TC-P50G10) that has a 5 blinking light error code.I've done some initial diag and tried replacing both the P- Board and the A-board, neither of which solved the problem.If I disconnect SC2 & SC20 & A31 & A32 I can get the TV to power up (fans running, red light lit on optical audio input, black screen) . That allows me to test the voltages which seem fine as far as I can tell:
TP1 - 322.5V
TP2 - 37.5V
TP3 - 331V
TP4 - 37.4V
TP5 - 199.5V
TP9 - 60.2V
P2 pin 1 - 199.5V
P6 pins 1,2,3 - 16.1V
P6 pins 7,8,9 - 14.6V
P7 pin 1 - 16.1V
P7 pin 5 - 5.16V
P7 pin 6 - 2.82V
P11 pin 1 - 199.5V
P11 pin 4 - 16V
P25 pins 1,2 - 16.1V
P25 pins 5,6,9 - 5.1V
P25 pin 11 - 3.23V
P35 pins 1,2 - 60.3VI've tested for shorts per the 2009 Panasonic Plasma Troubleshooting handbook, and all seems fine.I have tested various combinations of cables unplugged and at this point I suspect the SC board because the 5 light code changes when SC2 is unplugged in conjunction with other cables, whereas I mostly get the 5 light code when SC2 is connected. (I can give more detail if required).I'm looking for guidance or advice on whether it's likely to be the SC board and on further steps I might take to confirm the diagnosis before I order a replacement board.Thanks.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi there

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Pete, as described in the question, my testing so far seems to point to a bad SC board or (SU/SD boards). Any thoughts on how to further verify that? If it will help I can run through the results of the various cable disconnections I've done so far in trying to identify the problem, but basically with SC2 connected I get 5 blinks, with it disconnected it get 6 or 7 or it boots up ok, depending on what else is/isn't connected. ( The basic troubleshooting flowchart for 5 blinks doesn't lead me to a solution - assuming I'm following it correctly!).
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well I discovered that the SC board has a short across SC2, and there appears to be blown transistor on the board, so it looks like I need to test a few more components to see if I figure out the extent of the problem. Question now is whether this was caused by bad SU/SD boards so I think I need to evaluate those as well.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the detailed information, Trevor.

Yes, a bad SU/SD board could bring down a transistor on the SC board and cause it to short out, so ensure to check those boards before fitting a replacement SC board, otherwise you could blow it again.

Let me know how you get on...

Pete.