Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

UN50KU6300FX. Which output in the back of my TV can I use

Customer Question

UN50KU6300FX. Which output in the back of my TV can I use for wired earphones?
If I can't make a direct connection, what kind of converter will permit me to use the earphones?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Max.

That converter you have is exactly what is needed. You'll connect optical from the Digital Audio Out port on the tv to the optical input of the converter.

The problem then becomes that you can't use headphones directly with the converter, because there is no amplification, you'd need to also add in an external headphone amp:

Even that can be problematic though because the only volume control is on that amp, your remote won't control it, so you may be better off going with a wireless headphone system instead with a transmitter base that can connect to the converter directly:

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Nathan,Think I'll try it with the optical cable connection and my Logitech computer amplifying system and see how it works. Will I need to make any changes to the setup on the TV?
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Yes that could work.

You shouldn't need to, it should work right away with no changes.

If you find you get no sound, check in both tv and your cable/satellite/dvd/etc menus for an audio format option and change it to pcm/stereo (rather than dolby/auto/digital), but in most cases that isn't needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK; I'll look for the "audio format" because I tried what you suggested above and got no sound at all.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried everything--no sound.Thanks for your help. Can't win 'em all.Max
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Well that could be the logitech, as if it is a speaker system, it does not amplify the line in sound at all it just passes straight off to the headphones.

Plug the logitech speakers into the converter directly (no headphones) and see if you get sound there. If you do, it confirms everything else is ok.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried that--nada!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is an amplified system which worked perfectly on the earphone output of the LG that my new Samsung replaced.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Right, but that earphone output was already amplified on its own, the optical converter is not, and that is the difference, thus the need for a headphone amp.

The logitech is only amplifying the output to its own speakers, the hp jack was just a passthrough.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?