Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Visio TV will not stay on, Probably about 2013 only has one

Customer Question

Visio TV will not stay on
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Probably about 2013 only has one button on the left side to turn off anon
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Plugged in unplugged several times trying to hit the menu and input
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No just need the TV to work thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. I need to ask for some more info to sort this.

1) Can you get the full model number off of the back of the Vizio if possible?

2) How long does the TV stay ON for before shutting off?

3) When did this issue occur- were there any storms, power outages, etc. prior to this?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

No I can't take a phone call- sorry. The site sends that offer to you automatically- it's not anything I have any control over. Please simply reply back to the info requested here to proceed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No storms are power outages just started this morning it's a Vizio VI ZO TV about 2013. Model. M701da3r
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Phone mine is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

How long does the set stay on for before shutting down please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Waiting for your response. Site is a little confusing
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Please just stay on this page and it updates as we both respond. I posted a reply a minute ago- here it is:

Also, does it physically shut OFF (power light changes) or do you simply lose picture and/or sound?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The little light comes on for about three seconds and we get a little bit of a blue screen and it just goes off. When it first started we had sound but no picture.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Okay, unfortunately this usually points to a failure of the Mainboard in the TV, which is what processes the external AV signals in the set.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally (and stays ON). Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've done it three times and it won't stay on.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Does the Vizio welcome logo display on the set when you turn it on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No nothing no writing at all.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Okay, that is bad news and indicates a hardware failure in the TV. Aside from trying to leave the set unplugged for several hours or more, there aren't any quick fixes for this and it does require service. If you're a DIY type and have a multi-meter then we can run through some voltage checks to determine if the mainboard or the power board are causing the issue. Alternatively if you don't have tools but still want to repair yourself, then the two possible boards that can cause this are available for purchase at the link below for your set:

Power Board:

These are both plug and play boards- meaning no soldering is needed.

Alternatively if this is not something you're comfortable with then a shop will charge close to $350 parts and labor for this repair and can be located at the link below:

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?