Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a horizontal red line on my LG Plasma TV. Has only

Customer Question

I have a horizontal red line on my LG Plasma TV. Has only appeared in the last two days. Is it terminal or just a component on the way out. It is 14 yrs old.
JA: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: It has not happened before and the TV is turned off at the wall every night
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing as yet. Any suggestions?
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I can think of at this time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It also "flashes" intermittently mostly during ads
Expert:  Sam Dennis Bradley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the question! Your problem could be a simple fix. The ribbon connections on the buffer board...looking from the back with the back cover removed it is located on the left side. It is possible that fixing will require removing the ribbon connectors and reseating them especially the ribbon that corresponds in the same place on the screen where the horizontal line is located. If this does not fix then the next step is to replace the buffer board(s) themselves. And if it still does not fix then the connection causing the line is an internal one and would not be worth repairing.