Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have an olevia lcd hdtv 242 tf hd TV that I just moved

Customer Question

I have an olevia lcd hdtv 242 tf hd TV that I just moved into a new place! I have the picture but no sound?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the HDTV's exact make and model?
Customer: olevia lcd hdtv 242 tf hd
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have used the remote going to Menu! Nothing has changed
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Using HDMI
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

1- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back of TV?

2- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?
Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
olevia 242fhd-t11
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cable box
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, what type of cord/ wire is used to connect cable box to TV?

Is it HDMI cable or AV cable or set of Component Video cables?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hdmi
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK - Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will be adding a surround sound speakers as well. I have not set them up yet!
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, we will do it later, first we need to get the cable channel sound through TV internal speakers.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Alright, plugged everything back in! Still no sound!
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, do you hear hiss sound from TV speakers if increase the volume level to full?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No hissing sounds
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

This is odd, please press Source button on TV remote and select Tuner as source, do you get static noise from TV speakers now and snow on screen?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still no noise!
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, it seems TV internal speakers might be set Off in TV menu, we need to check it.

Press Menu on TV remote and go to Audio settings, there you will see Treble, Bass, Balance and few other options, find Speaker option and check if it is set as ON?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was set to ON. Turned to Off then back to ON. Still no sound!
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, we need to connect another video source into AV input of TV to confirm the sound problem is within TV to troubleshoot ti further.

Do you have a DVD player etc to connect into AV input of TV as a test?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
55357;�
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, so no sound when connect different video device into AV input of TV?

If so, then it confirmed that sound processor chip inside TV has got internal problem and causing the issue and need to be replaced either sound processor chip or entire board to resolve the problem.

However, alternately you can connect Audio Out jacks of cable box to your surround sound system to keep getting sound of cable channel while watching it on this TV.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your help tonight! I thought this might be the case but wanted to see if there was anything else I could do!
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

I wish there was an easy or quick fix for the sound issue in TV, you may please use alternate way to connect surround sound directly to cable box to get sound of cable channel being watched on TV.

I hope these info will help. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.