Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Just put in a used tcon board on my Bravia 40 due to

Customer Question

Just put in a used tcon board on my Bravia 40 due to solarization. I reassembled and tested I get 5 blinks after green fire up light. No sound no picture. Rebooted a couple times, nothing changes.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Solarization was about a week. Just replaced the tcon board e half hour ago.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: U tube videos
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- Could you please get me the model number written on back of TV?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
KDL40HX800
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You still there?
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the info, typing an answer for you, give me 5 minutes please...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

5 times flashing power light indicates problem with t-con board and when you install different t-con board the main board doesn't recognize it and at this point you would need to update TV firmware to establish communication link between t-con and main board. You would need a USB memory stick to download and copy firmware update file and plug it in USB port of TV then turn On the TV and update will begin itself, it doesn't matter if nothing appears on screen, give it 15-20 minutes to finish the firmware update process and TV will turn Off itself. Unplug USB memory stick from TV and turn On the TV to see if it works, you can download firmware update file from following Sony link..

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=KDL40HX800&upd_id=10214&os_group_id=18

Please note that above solution is for 5 blinks error code only and isn't related to "solarization" issue which happens due to either defective t-con board or internal circuitry of display panel (the screen).

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll give that a try thanks
Expert:  Shahid replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome, copy the firmware file on USB thumb drive as per Sony instructions mentioned on that page so TV can get correct file to boot up and start updating.

Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.