Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My Samsung will only play tv input. No other inputs in menu

Customer Question

My Samsung will only play tv input. No other inputs in menu are highlighted. I want the HD input highlighted so I can select it.
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: It's in a camper I recently purchased. Don't know how old the TV is but it has been unplugged.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Found some startup codes and tried to reset to factory settings but did not help
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Please provide the following info so I can help you.

1) What is the model number off the back of the set?

2) What is plugged into the HDMI Input (cable/SAT box, Roku, etc.)?

3) Is the HDMI Input "ghosted" out in the MENU- meaning not bold?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you need assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
LNR328WX/XAA. I have DVD player hooked to it and yes the HD input is not bold only the TV input is bold
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Okay, on this older Samsung set the Input needs to be "named" before it can be used. Have you ever used the HDMI port on the set before?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Sorry, I cannot take a phone call. My mistake on saying it's older- the model number is ***** to a 2007 model. Is this the first time using the DVD player on the TV please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just bought the TV with a camper probably has not been used with HD dev7
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out of the question at this point. It is now open for other experts to view and assist.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I'm ready any time
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This phone number is ***** should be(###) ###-####
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the DVD player. Additionally, please describe how the DVD player is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).

And is the original Samsung TV's remote available/usable?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a Samsung blue ray hooked to it with an hdmi cable and I do have the original remote.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

...and the model number of the DVD player please?

Still, have you tried on the TV's remote:

• • press MENU;
  • • press ENTER to select Input;
  • • press ▲▼ to select Edit Name;
  • • press ENTER;
  • • press ▲▼ to select HDMI;
  • • press ENTER;
  • • press ▲▼ to select DVD;
  • • press ENTER;
  • • press EXIT.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Remote works. I do all that and get 3 blue boxes. One says DNle Demo another says DNle off and one says DNle On but can't select any of them and have no input
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Can you please try pressing the DNle button on the remote to turn this demo feature OFF?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Remote doesn't have that button nothing else effects this screen. I definitely do think it set to some kind of demo mode
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

What is the number of the original remote please?

Does it have an MTS button? ...any buttons below the MTS button (if present)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok looking for number and found a door I thought was battery cover found more buttons turned off demo and now have a blank blue screen
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Have you re-tried using the SOURCE button?

If that would not work/remove blue screen (video mute/no-signal), try the PC and the SWAP button, then try again the SOURCE button.

Please ensure that the DVD player is playing a known to be good DVD movie disc and that the HDMI cable is correctly installed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I pushed PC and swap and window that says not available. Then a check signal cable. Will hook DVD to known good tv to make sure I have a signal.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Yes please and would look forward to an update.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
DVD works fine on other tv
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

The setting where the "...check signal cable..." was displayed would be the most likely mode for the DVD.

The message on the other hand tells us that the TV can not detect the video signal although it knows there is a connection.

Can your try checking/lowering the HDMI output resolution of the DVD player?