Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Have old model CTM-1351R color TV in basement. Would like to

Customer Question

Have old model CTM-1351R color TV in basement. Would like to receive digital signals.
What do I need to convert?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. If you're referring to over the air (Antenna- not Cable signals which you have to pay for), then you would need an HDTV antenna as well as a converter box.

If you're referring to Cable (a paid service) then you would need a cable box outfitted by your cable provider.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Assuming you mean "free" over the air broadcasts that you don't have to pay for, then an HDTV antenna would be needed to pick up the signals. There are indoor and outdoor types. Outdoor will yield much better signal and more channels than an indoor with the only issue that you have to mount it high up on your roof. An indoor is more cost effective and can be placed by a window inside the house however. There are many options at Best Buy for these antennas.

Next a converter box would be needed (DTV converter) since the TV you have does not have a built in digital tuner. So the antenna will connected to the DTV converter box and then the converter box will connect to your TV's antenna/RF jack. These are also available at Best Buy.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.