Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

Suddenlu my 50 inch samsung 3 year old tv has a plaid

Customer Question

Suddenlu my 50 inch samsung 3 year old tv has a plaid pattern on the screen. The sound is fine. I can change channels. My other tvs are working great. But on this tv i can not change input or pull up a menu.
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: 3 years old and no I only left is unplugged for 5 minutes
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just unplugging it for 5 minutes and unplugging the cable box too.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you give me the full model number of your tv, please?
Does this happen on all inputs/sources?
Can you see the samsung menu screens at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will get the info -hold please be right back
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
model number UN55C7100WFXZA Version SQ01
I can not change input sources. That is part of the problem. I can not see the menu screens at all. The only thing I get is audio of the comcast channel I am on and the plaid screen.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry it took me so long. Did you get my message?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Yes, your messages just came through, thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv would be considered at/past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,