Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup

I have a Sony Bravia tv and within 10 seconds of powering on

Customer Question

I have a Sony Bravia tv and within 10 seconds of powering on the tv it shuts off and the red standby light blinks. What can I do to fix this?
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you.

Unfortunately there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The pattern/number of blinks can give a clue where to start, but the tv back panel needs to come off, complex checks need to be performed with a meter, then parts ordered and installed. If that is something you want to attempt then reply back here and I can assist you further (previous experience needed).

If you are unable or unwilling to perform any of these procedures then a repair shop should be consulted but I can tell you that diagnosis, parts, and labor will end up costing just about the same as a new 46" Tv and could take a few weeks to get all sorted. Unless you can actually do the work yourself, I would strongly suggest you use the money you saved by coming here first toward a replacement tv rather than going for a repair.

I do understand that finding out your tv needs expensive repairs is not pleasant but please keep in mind why you came here to use this service.

An in home diagnosis by a local repair shop costs $100-$135 up front. Finding out whether your tv can be repaired and how much it may cost from this online chat costs a fraction of that.

Before you go please take a moment to submit at least a 3 star rating at the top of this page so that I get credit for my work. You can reply even after rating.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you still need help, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?