Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My tv looses connection. I have dish network. Can't figure

Customer Question

My tv looses connection. I have dish network. Can't figure out what channel to put on so the tv works properly
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Its a samsung un32eh4003f. 2 years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Tried to disconnect the receiver and changed the channels. I tried the hdmi mode..stays on for 1 hour than it loses connection
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. If using HDMI the TV does not ge set on a channel, it gets set to the HDMI "Source" setting you're plugged into (HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc.). Since you mentioned the set loses connection- there are two possible causes. First- does the TV screen say "Searching for satellites", or "No Signal" when it loses connection please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Weak or no signal.1. Check the antenna cable connection. 2. Run auto program
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thats the error message i get
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Okay, those messages mean your TV is on "TV mode"- you don't want that. You need to use an HDMI cable from the DISH box to the TV (no other connections from DISH box to the TV), and then use the Samsung's "Source" button to select the HDMI Input. So plug the HDMI cable into HDMI 1 port on the TV, and the other end into the box then set the TV to HDMI 1.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Since you mentioned the HDMI mode works for 1 hour then loses connection, you would want to look at replacing the HDMI cable you have, as it seems to be losing connection between the box and the TV. These cables are digital and can fail without warning. Have you tried swapping the HDMI cable out yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not yet. Thank you
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome. That is 90% of the time what this issue is caused by. If the problem persists beyond that, then you could be looking at an internal TV fault- but that could nto be determined without first swapping out that HDMI cable. If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?