Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Tv shuts down- if unplugged few seconds comes back on few

Customer Question

tv shuts down- if unplugged for a few seconds comes back on for a few seconds- to the rest of the day, happens almost every day. picture,color,sound is perfect
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: dynex 55" about 5-6 yrs old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Overnight unplugging, adding surge protector, etc
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: red off light comes on when shut down
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Is there any chance you can get me the model number off of the back of the TV?

Also, does the TV shut down right after it's first turned on, or if not- then when exactly does that occur?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Also are you saying that after shutdown the TV will physically turn ITSELF back on? Or do you have to press the power button?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

I'm not sure if you're having problems replying? Please don't try to reply to the e-mail the site sends you. Instead use the link to get to the site page and reply here.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
tv shuts down, when you unplug it, and then push the on button it comes back on for a few seconds or a few hours, then repeats. dx-55 dynex. replaced surge, power cord, left unplugged overnight to reset. Color,picture,sound are perfect.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. This isn't something there are any resets, or settings that will correct. It's indicative of components that are drifting out of spec when the set is "cold" (first turned on), and the issue will get worse and worse. The most common cause of this are prematurely failing capacitors on the power supply board of the set, however in some rare cases we see the EEPROM on the Mainboard causing this problem. If you're looking to repair this yourself, then your most likely and common culprit is the power board, and you would want to replace that part. The power board for your set can be purchased at the link below:

http://www.tvpartsinstock.com/dynex-dx-55l150a11-insignia-ns-55l260a-power-supply-151886

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Alternatively, if this is not something you're comfortable with, a shop will generally charge $250 parts and labor to replace the power board and can be located at the following link:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I realize it is frustrating as the set operates just fine once the parts warm up and come into spec, and this issue does get worse and worse over time.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?