Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a PDP4270 TV. While we were out the TV was on

Customer Question

I have a PDP4270 TV. While we were out the TV was on standby. When we came home both standby lights were out. I am an electronic engineer so I measured the AC mains cable, and it is fine. Looks like a power supply or internal protection failure. What can I try if i remove the back?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a PDP-4270 and we bought it in 2007
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I just measured there was AC volts at the end of the mains supply cable and that is OK. I have not yet removed the rear cover of the TV.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: As an electronic engineer I can do simple troubleshooting although I would stop at trying to rework a surface mount device PCB. If it is mpre complicated I would try to find a TV repair person.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Good day Sir

Sorry no one answered or reply faster than this but `i`ll do my best to assist you with this

Please send me a reply so i know you are present

Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Please also note that replies may be delayed but will be forthcoming

Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

We are talking about an older plasma (and great ) model and troubleshooting may not be easy here .

The back cover will certainly have to come off if you wish to look at this yourself .

Let this canadian tech. know when you are ready to proceed please

Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Going for the 6:40 (or so) coffee now but i will check back soon

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK Jack,
I am here but I'm going to lunch now
Here in England it's 12:30
I am an electronic engineer so I don't mind doing a bit.
If it's too complicated I'll give up but I suspect a power glitch occurred
because the DVD player, which is in the same equipment rack as the TV, mysteriously turned itself ON
which it has never done before.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, I am back now,
just give me your initial thoughts.
I checked the spare parts houses here in England for a replacement PSU module
but nobody has anything.
If you give me your best guess as to the most common failure modes,
when I get home tonight I will check them out.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Jack,
If you are there now, what are the most likely faults that will shut down the PSU?
For the standby lights to receive power, does just a small portion of the overall PSU run?
There appears to be a fuse and a MO Varistor near the input connector.
A high voltage spike on the AC mains could clip the varistor and blow the fuse, maybe?
I am not expecting that you should walk me through a diganosis and repair, just that you use your experience
to identify the most common faults with this board.
Thanks in advance,
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jo Jack,
I notice that you never actually answered my question.
I'm sure you're a great guy but I am going to ask for a refund on that basis.
I contracted with somebody on eBay to pick up the TV and replace the PSU so that issue is over.
Thanks anywaysDave