Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a PDP4270 TV. While we were out the TV was on

Customer Question

I have a PDP4270 TV. While we were out the TV was on standby. When we came home both standby lights were out. I am an electronic engineer so I measured the AC mains cable, and it is fine. Looks like a power supply or internal protection failure. What can I try if i remove the back?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a PDP-4270 and we bought it in 2007
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I just measured there was AC volts at the end of the mains supply cable and that is OK. I have not yet removed the rear cover of the TV.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: As an electronic engineer I can do simple troubleshooting although I would stop at trying to rework a surface mount device PCB. If it is mpre complicated I would try to find a TV repair person.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Good day Sir

Sorry no one answered or reply faster than this but `i`ll do my best to assist you with this

Please send me a reply so i know you are present

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Please also note that replies may be delayed but will be forthcoming

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

We are talking about an older plasma (and great ) model and troubleshooting may not be easy here .

The back cover will certainly have to come off if you wish to look at this yourself .

Let this canadian tech. know when you are ready to proceed please

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Going for the 6:40 (or so) coffee now but i will check back soon

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK Jack,
I am here but I'm going to lunch now
Here in England it's 12:30
I am an electronic engineer so I don't mind doing a bit.
If it's too complicated I'll give up but I suspect a power glitch occurred
because the DVD player, which is in the same equipment rack as the TV, mysteriously turned itself ON
which it has never done before.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, I am back now,
just give me your initial thoughts.
I checked the spare parts houses here in England for a replacement PSU module
but nobody has anything.
If you give me your best guess as to the most common failure modes,
when I get home tonight I will check them out.
Thanks,
Dave
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jack,
If you are there now, what are the most likely faults that will shut down the PSU?
For the standby lights to receive power, does just a small portion of the overall PSU run?
There appears to be a fuse and a MO Varistor near the input connector.
A high voltage spike on the AC mains could clip the varistor and blow the fuse, maybe?
I am not expecting that you should walk me through a diganosis and repair, just that you use your experience
to identify the most common faults with this board.
Thanks in advance,
Dave
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Jo Jack,
I notice that you never actually answered my question.
I'm sure you're a great guy but I am going to ask for a refund on that basis.
I contracted with somebody on eBay to pick up the TV and replace the PSU so that issue is over.
Thanks anywaysDave