Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech

My vizio tv wont turn off but doesnt stay on either. just

Customer Question

my vizio tv wont turn off but doesnt stay on either. just keeps cycling between awake and asleep. have tried resetting the power button. Its not connected to cable box. just trying to use it for wi and netflix. it 3 years old was working fine then it sat unused for several months
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model e500i a1
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: i already told you
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: i tried resetting the power button only
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?

- Have you tired to unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, turn it On and check?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Like I said it's about 3 years old. Yes I have uno plugged it let it sit then replugged in. It will display the menu for about 10 sec then go to sleep then turn back on to the menu
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

OK, just to clarify, TV shows Vizio logo then shuts Off, turn back On and shows Vizio logo and switches Off, this keeps going on, correct?

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

Above requested info will conclude the troubleshooting process.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
shows vizio logo goes to ninetendo wi screen then goes black then starts cycle all over
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the info.

This kind of problem occurs due to internal failure of main board where main controller chip boot up, shows logo and menu screen then shuts Off due to internal failure, resets and reboot and repeats whole process. Main board is one where all vide inputs are located and replacement of main board in TV will help to resolve the problem.

Please click following link to view main board image and part number info to get exact/ identical main board, there are few different version/ part number main board utilized in this model so it is important to get the part number off of main board installed in TV to search exact/ identical replacement main board because different version/ part number main board will not work properly..

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.