Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

My dynex tv has good picture but I can't get the sound to

Customer Question

My dynex tv has good picture but I can't get the sound to work. When I try to go to audio it says "off" but the category doesn't allow me access to turn it on...
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: We just bought the tv from a friend...
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: dynex 3 years old no model name on it
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: going through the settings for audio, reboot, changed batteries in the remote, all the normal stuff...
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no that will do it thanks...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

-Was there some external speakers or headphones connected to the tv that you are not longer using?

-What is the model number of the tv? see sticker on back of tv

___________________________________________________________________

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Mike, the model is a dynex GXL42 10A and no, there was nothing plugged in... it appears there was a telephone used to program it originally that is no longer available so the password ***** ***** don't know if that hampers the ability of tv to turn on the sound but we can do everything else... the audio is turned "off" in settings...
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

when was this tv purchased?

where did you get that model number? it's not coming up as valid.

what do you mean by "a telephone was used to program it"?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

maybe it's at DXL4210A....

do you have the original Dynex remote and can you bring up the menu?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Please try this using the Dynex remote:

MENU

SETUP

RESTORE DEFAULT

follow on screen instructions to complete the reset.

exit the menu.

if the audio is not working, unplug the POWER cords for tv and any related equipment like cable/sat box for a minutes, plug them back in and test.

If that doesn't help then the tv needs parts and service. In this case the Main board has to be replaced. If that is something you want to attempt, reply back for assistance. Otherwise it would be better to replace the tv because repairs by a local shop would cost too much.

Before you go please take a moment to submit at least a 3 star rating at the top of this page. Then if you still need help you can reply back and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thanks

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you still need help, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?