Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Ive got a 40" Toshiba with a built in DVD that I never use.

Customer Question

Ive got a 40" Toshiba with a built in DVD that I never use. The tv is about 11 years old but rarely gets used, it's in our outdoor enclosed scfreened in patio. The "disc" button is flashing 3x fast, than a pause, then repeats. I can't turn the pix on but the sound comes through the sound system and the channels change. I've tried plugging in/out the plug with intervals between plug in/out 5 seconds to an hour to a day to a week. Anything you can do?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Toshiba is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: hold on
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: From the back it says August 2006, model 37LX96 Chassis TAC0609
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. What color is the "disc" button as it's flashing- green, yellow or red please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Thanks This indicates a Siene failure- which means the tuner board has failed and needs to be replaced. There aren't any pushbutton fixes for this as it's a hardware issue. If you want to repair the set, then the board you need to purchase to fix this issue is at the link below for your set:

This is a plug and play part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Alternatively if you're not comfortable with this type of repair then a shop will generally charge $250 parts and labor to fix this which is not considered cost effective as the set can be replaced for about the same cost.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Did you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That is the same answer I found on google many times before.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

That is the correct answer, there isn't another one- that is not something I can change. So what type of assistance were you looking for?