Jason Jones, Customer Service
Experience:  Several years of troubleshooting.

I have a Sony flatscreen hooked up to cable. story but my

Customer Question

i have a Sony flatscreen hooked up to cable. Long story but my father messed with the tv. I was able to get the picture back but no sound
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sony is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 5 years old. KDL- 55ex500
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Unplugged. Waited for 5 min plugged cable back in. Used the TV remote to go to sound settings. Everything looks right.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 3 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

As far as sound goes, are you using the built in speakers or an external system?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Built in. Tv speakers
Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the update. There are a few things that may cause this problem, so let's go download list of things now.

- First, verify that the TV's volume is turned up and not muted. You'd be surprised how often this is the problem.

- Second, go into the Audio menu and disable any audio effects, such as "Simulated'.

- Next, on the TV menu, for the Audio, verify that the Speakers are set to On.

- Please, report back.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Volume is turned up on tv unit and cable remot and tv remote. Didn't see any audio affects enabled. Speakers are on. This is so frustrating. I know it's something simple. The volume icon on the TV looks different. Like it's not a solid line.

That sounds like the mute indicator. Are you sure it is not muted?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's not muted. Any other place besides the remote that would allow it to be muted?

Please, give me a little background about the problem that caused this in the first place. That may help us locate the culprit. How exactly did your father "mess" the tv up?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been away on vacation. When I came home he had the TV remote that he had been messing with since last night. I try and hide the darn thing so he won't use it. When I came in he had no signal. I was able to get the TV back working again. Just no sound.

Did he by any chance plug in a set of headphones into the tv?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. FYI he is 96. He just pushes buttons. ��

I understand. At this point, you may want to factory reset the TV. You can do that from within the Settings menu. Do you want to do that report back?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe I already did that. I think it was called initial setup. Does that sound right.

The initial setup is not the same as resetting. Please, factory reset the TV.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry. I don't see that option.

Please, follow the instructions below to reset the tv:
- Turn the tv on.

- While holding down the UP ARROW button on the remote control, press the POWER button on the TV. The tv will turn itself off and reset.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your help. My father is very inpatient. Wants the golf on. I will have to try this later. I hope it works. Many thanks.

Thank you.