Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

Vizio E500i-b1 has sound but no picture. screen can barely

Customer Question

Vizio E500i-b1 has sound but no picture. screen can barely be seen sometimes but is extremely dark. Vizio icon pops up very briefly when tv is turned on
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: less than 2 years. E500i-b1
JA: Huh?
Customer: what?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: changing inputs, unplugging and pluging back in, tried cable box on different tv and the cable box is not the issue.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 8 months ago.

Hello

Welcome

Sorry you are having trouble here, if you press the menu button of the sets own remote control does the menu come up please?if not can you see it but its very dark?

Anthony

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The screen isn't bright enough for me to see the menu. Sometimes it works right when you turn it on but then goes dark in a few minutes so I don't think it is the brightness settings or anything like that. It's like the "light" inside doesn't stay bright.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I know it's not a light but I think you understand.

Yes I believe the back-light is out, please continually press the menu button but this time use a flashlight at a 45 degree angle on the screen can you see the menu were the light hits the screen?this is just a test to see if the back-lights are out on the TV

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That seems to be the case. Is this a part I can easily replace?

OK the back-lights are out on the set, these are primarily run by the power-board so its this board that will need to be replaced so you need to get the back off the set find the power-board by tracing the power-cord to it then have a look on the board for its part-number found on a sticky label or etched on the board itself with this number initially try www.shopjimmy.com <<click, if they do not have it google the part-number.

Let me know if you need more help

Please consider rating the answer positively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site (I am a user of the site like you are a verified technician) if you need more help let me know , note the question is open for 30 days should you need more help now or later thank you.

Many Thanks

Anthony

Do you still need any more help with this please?

Anthony

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is the whole board considered the power board. The one in the picture?
And is the part number the one on top?

Actually this set has a separate LED driver board so you should see a lead coming from this board <<click going into the panel itself, this I believe to be the LED driver board so get the part-number from this board and initially go to www.shopjimmy.com for it or google the part number found on the board itself

Many Thanks

Anthony