Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

We have a Harmony 650. most part it works great. However,

Customer Question

We have a Harmony 650. For the most part it works great. However, today we experienced a major problem. The Harmony romote device would not let us load a movie. I put in a VHS tape into the Funai DVD/VCR Model ZV427FX4 and that machine would not come on. I hit Play a Movie and it would flicker on and immediately shut down. I hit the remote button and went through the menu and nothing happened. The VHS tape is now in the machine. I tried putting in DVD to watch and the Funai did the same thing, i.e. flickered on, then immediately off when I hit the Play a Movie button on the Harmony remote. We have previously played many DVD's without a problem. However, this is the first time we've tried a VHS. Help! What did I do to screw this up?
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi Allan,

Can you please VHS or DVD ok on the Funai if you use the original remote control, or manually press play on the machine?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pete,
I'm not sure what you mean? Did you leave out the word "verify"? after the word please? If so, I tried to turn the Funai on with its own remote and the manual press button for power. It comes on, and within 2 seconds turns off; however it sounds like there is a motor running even when its off. Hope I haven't stumped you. It seems quite unusual to me. Thanks for your help.
Allan
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi Allan,

I think I left a few words out there, sorry! (batteries were running low in my wireless keyboard)

I meant to say can you please let me know if VHS or DVD play ok on the Funai if you use the original remote control, or manually press play on the machine?

As you have mentioned that it does not, this indicates a problem with the machine itself rather than with the Harmony 650.

The Funai machine will need to be repaired or replaced.