Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

When I scan it stops at 16% and goes blank. HELP

Customer Question

when I scan for channels it stops at 16% and goes blank. HELP
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the make/model of the tv?

What signal source are you using? Antenna, basic cable, or something else?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Toshiba
model 32c100u2
antenna
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Okay there are 2 possible causes of that - either a fault in the internal tuner/memory, or that the antenna used isn't able to pick up any stations.

First, have you ever updated the firmware on the tv?
Secondly, what type of antenna are you using, and where are you located?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
firmware never changed
antenna is on my travel trailer
Dorchester wi 54425
reply
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for confirming,

Distance is likely a big part of the issue, the very closest towers to you are all 40+ miles away, and if your rv is an older model the antenna is likely not designed for digital signals.

If you have the ability to test another tv by chance, and that didn't work either, it would confirm that. You'd then need to change the antenna, or add a booster to it.

If another tv does work, it would indicate that the tv is the issue, and would require repairs, though that typically is not feasible. The alternative then would be to hook up an external tuner box to the tv to replace the failed internal function.

Please test if possible with another tv (or perhaps move the RV closer to Eau Claire and test there) and then I'll advise further on options, if needed.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my t v worked for the last 3 yrs with the stations where they are no one moved the stations that's not the Problem?
it is something else Let me know?
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for confirming; that information would then indicate that this is an internal hardware failure in the tv, meaning that the tvs internal tuner board has failed.

This is a common part to see fail on these tvs as they age, and while it can be fixed it isn't worth the investment. It would cost more to repair than to buy a new tv.

The alternative is to hook up an external tuner box to the tv to replace the failed internal function. Example: http://amzn.to/29Ep3Fg

That actually gives you some additional benefits as well - you can hook up a usb memory stick or hard drive to it and use it as a recorder/dvr function too.

Best regards,