Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

M6 jvc 50 inch won't turn on after power surge

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Naomi.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The tv has only been used for 7weeks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The power button is a switch from left to right. You can't hold it
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

The age is really irrelevant at this point. A power surge can cause significant damage whether the tv is new or old.

The reset process is still done, you are looking at the main power button, there should still be a standby button, or an Enter button you can use for the same purpose.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

And this is an older model, so if only used for 7 weeks, you may want to take it up with the seller who was selling you an old model.

Technically, it may be under warranty at this point, so you could file a claim with JVC as well, however they are not obligated to honor the warranty if the damage was caused by a power surge which is outside their control. It doesn't hurt to ask though.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what are the steps to reset this tv
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

The same ones I mentioned above, but you don't use the toggle power button, you use the standby power or enter button

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Why can't I even get a menu display on screen
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

That is a normal result of power surge damage.

There are internal hardware components of the tv that were damaged and repairs are going to be required.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Naomi?