Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I HAVE A TC-26LX85 AN IT WON'T TURN ON. THE REMOTE OR THE

Customer Question

I HAVE A TC-26LX85 AN IT WON'T TURN ON. THE REMOTE OR THE POWER BUTTON CAUSE A RED LED TO FLASH SLOWLY IN THE LOWER RIGHT CORNER OF THE CABINET. I'VE TRIED UNPLUGGING IT WITH OUT SUCCESS. ENGAGING THE POWER BUTTON OR THE REMOTE HAVE NO EFFECT, THE LIGHT CONTINUES TO FLASH SLOWLY AND NO PICTURE DISPLAYED
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Jeff.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is well past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $150 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
5
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

I don't understand your last post, Jeff.

Is your intent to say you wanted to rate me with 5 stars?
Or that you needed more information?